Volume 13, Issue 52 (9-2006)                   RJMS 2006, 13(52): 205-216 | Back to browse issues page


XML Persian Abstract Print


Download citation:
BibTeX | RIS | EndNote | Medlars | ProCite | Reference Manager | RefWorks
Send citation to:

Nikpour S, Rahimiha F, Haghani H. Comparing the Status of Sport Activities in Women and Men Working at Iran University of Medical Sciences and Health Services. RJMS. 2006; 13 (52) :205-216
URL: http://rjms.iums.ac.ir/article-1-631-en.html

Abstract:   (5524 Views)

    Background & Aim: Exercise and physical activity have recently been the focus of attention in public health. People who participate in sport, recreation and physical activities are generally healthier and more confident than those who do not. Potential health consequences of physical inactivity reported in other studies include hypertension, coronary heart disease, diabetes, obesity, high blood cholesterol, osteoprosis, cancers of colon, breast, prostate, lung, depression, and muscular disability. In other words, the major cause of mortality and morbidity is physical inactivity. The present study was undertaken to determine the comparison status of sport activities in employed women and men in Iran University of Medical Sciences and Health Services. Patients & Methods: In this comparative study, data was gathered through questionnaire. Selected through a multi-stage sampling method, 393 women and 316 men were the contributers of this study whose height and weight were measured by the researcher. Results: Findings about status of sport activities in women indicated that out of 393 employed women only 88 ones(22.4%) were active and the remaining 305 ones(77.6%) were inactive. Out of 88 active individuals, (12.2%) did regular light sport activity and (10.2%) did regular vigorous sport activity. The status of sport activities in women had a significant relationship with education, kind of job(P<0.05), i.e. sport activity in educated women(female faculty members) was more than others. No significant relationship was found with factors such as age, marital status, B.M.I, number of children and income. Findings about status of sport activities in men indicated that out of 316 employed men only 53 ones(16.8%) were active and the remaining 263(83.2%) ones were inactive. Out of 53 active individuals, (8.9%) did regular light sport activity and 7.9% did vigorous regular sport activity. The status of sport activities in men had a significant relationship with education, kind of job and income(P<0.05), i.e. sport activity in educated men was more than others. No significant relationship was found with factors such as age, marital status, B.M.I, and the number of children. No significant difference was found between employed women and men on the status of sport activities. Conclusion: Results of the present study showed that most of the employed women and men were inactive therefore, conducting a research on reasons of this inactivity is recommended.

Full-Text [PDF 205 kb]   (1620 Downloads)    
Type of Study: Research | Subject: Society Health Nursing

© 2015 All Rights Reserved | Razi Journal of Medical Sciences

Designed & Developed by : Yektaweb